PLEASE NOTE: This item may be coming from our Welcome Center in Abiquiú, New Mexico. It may have a longer than usual delivery period. Please allow up to three additional days for its shipment.
This vast and inspiring western country – from ranch towns and raging rivers to sacred monuments and red rock canyons – stretches the American traveler’s definition of time and space. As the perfect road tripping companion, the Wildsam Field Guide to the Desert Southwest highlights local stories, travel intel and modern lore, including:
- Where to find authentic Navajo rugs
- The best burger-and-shake joint in Moab, Utah
- Historic outlaws and lawmen of note
- Scenic back roads from every southwestern state
- A map of stunning Grand Canyon overlooks
- Intel on seeing New Mexico from a hot air balloon
- Pointers on high desert photography
- Expert selection on retro inns and destination hotels
- Legends and lore from Canyon de Chelly
- An interview with an Arizona shaman
Founded in 2012, Wildsam uses unrivaled local knowledge and soulful storytelling to reveal the marrow of the world’s great places. Their series of American field guides explores via prose and personality, mixing together archival research, personal interviews, long-form essays and hand-drawn maps. More akin to Kerouacs’ notebooks than traditional guidebooks, Wildsam celebrates the mysteries and magic of discovery found both near and far. They shed light on the lesser known, the complex, the real things that lead people into a depth-finder style of travel.